keskiviikko 27. huhtikuuta 2016

Weakling - Live Practice '98


Weakling - Live Practice 25th May 1998
1) No One Can Be Called as a Man While He'll Die
2) Disasters in the Sun
3) This Entire Fucking Battlefield
4) Cut Their Grain and Place Fire Therein

Depositfiles / Sendspace

I decided to do one of my own tape rips for today, this is Weakling from USA and their 1998 rehearsal tape or "Live Practice" as they labeled it. There have been rips around before but since this turned out quite nicely enough I decided to share. And no, it's not ripped from an original copy, it's from a dub I got from an American person. Cover image from Metal Archives if you didn't guess already.

Weakling is best known for releasing an album in 2000 with five staggeringly long tracks and four of them appear also here, meaning this has a running time comparable to most albums at over fifty minutes. The long, long instrumental songs combined with the rehearsal/live sound which is very clear, I must mention, even with all the feedback and so on present, can make this a bit hard morsel to chew, swallow, digest and eventually defecate. I like the sound here though and the unedited nature of the recording with the false start, little screw-ups, feedback and all. The drums are slightly more subdued than on the album and everything seems to have a bit more space and room to breathe. I said instrumental but one can hear some sort of screaming in the background occasionally, perhaps as a result of getting carried away? I tagged this progressive which might be a little misleading, but it feels somewhat justified. Recommended if you like long instrumental recordings of somewhat black metal nature and are not afraid of being stamped as a late-to-the-party hipster by people with callous, embittered characters.

9 kommenttia:

GREV kirjoitti...

Hey Velkaarn

Do you have Weakling's Demo '98?

If not, I could offer it to you

kingpossum kirjoitti...

The progressive tag seems justified to me. Feels like there's more happening in the movements and arrangements than is typical in straight ahead BM. I dig the occasional instrumental mental (and in fact one of my all time favorite live bands is Pelican), so I find this a good listen.

The band's name is curious, given the machismo-driven BM scene. It's a bit like a rapper boasting he's the lamest playa wannabe in the hood. Maybe there's some irony intended by the band, who knows. Thanks for the post.

Velkaarn kirjoitti...

@Grev:

Do you mean the single track rehearsal (roughly ten minutes song, early version of ...Battlefield) or is it something else? I should have the rehearsal somewhere, myself.

@kingpossum:

Thanks, I was kinda hoping you'd comment on that, being much, much more familiar with progressive material than myself. Though I've been expanding there in recent years too, Germany's Novalis being one fave. Back to Weakling, you might want to check out the album too, the vocals seem to divide people's opinions but I didn't have a problem with 'em myself. The album was pretty popular namedrop some years ago so it's probably easy to find on jewtube or somewhere like that.

Yeah, the name is quite remarkable and personally I've thought it as some sort of expression of nihilism, self-loathing, humanhate or possibly all above, with most likely a bountiful side-serving of irony.

GREV kirjoitti...

@Velkaarn.

Yep, same tape :)

Velkaarn kirjoitti...

@Grev:

Thought so! It might come in handy if I'm unable to locate my rip of it, I'm kind of curious to compare it to the later versions.

GREV kirjoitti...

OK, drop me a line if you want to hear my copy of that Weakling's rehearsal

kingpossum kirjoitti...

OK I'm disappointed nobody called me out on the "instrumental mental" typo. Ah well, typing this reminds my I have to search for the Weakling official release.

Velkaarn kirjoitti...

@kingpossum:

Well, I did notice it but I didn't want to pick on you for that. I spent all my vitriol usually reserved for typos proofreading a new menu at work. I don't seem able to locate the Weakling rehearsal me and brother Grev discussed so I think I need to take up his offer. Wanna hear that one too?

James TB kirjoitti...

A rip i did, maybe you will find of interest:
https://witchouch.blogspot.com/2017/07/weakling-1999-dead-as-dreams-demo-cs.html