tiistai 6. elokuuta 2013

Dusk - Where Dreams Bleed promo 1998


Dusk (pak) - Where Dreams Bleed promo 1998
1) Await Thy Doom
2) Mass Grave

Rusfolder / Yandex

Here's something slightly more exotic: death/doom metal from Pakistan. That's one country not really known for its extreme metal scene. Unfortunately their band name is again far from unique but at least there's not like 5 or 10 countrymates to mix them up with. These guys are still around, I believe, though their music has evolved from the death/doom of earlier releases to more progressive metal and apparently most recently gotten thrashier vibe to it. Even though I've only heard their doomy sounds and possibly a track or two of the more progressive stuff. But this promo tape I ordered from the band back in 1998 or maybe early 1999 after spotting their flyer, mainly because it seemed so exotic, I'll be first to admit. So ripped from an original copy and with a cover scan.

Two tracks for a little over eleven minutes of death/doom metal with a quite primitive demo sound which however is very... uh, audible and airy but kinda lacking in the heaviness department. But it sort of fits with the music and the whispering vocals they employ besides the death metal belches. It's not right away bringing anyone to my mind but I'm sure I'll read a few accurate comparisons in the comments very soon to snap my fingers whilst frowning with annoyance "how didn't I think of them?" - you know the drill. Oh, earlier Anathema might be a name to drop now that I've sat here for a while. But I got things to do and food to cook so enough typing, download it already.

2 kommenttia:

kingpossum kirjoitti...

Mega. Totally digging this. It's like an English post-punk band decided they were black metal instead, then recruited a thrash metal guitarist by mistake.

All nonsense aside, I'm hearing a lot of current Arabic metal that's devastatingly good--Anarchadia (from Syria) to the fore. The Black Spring blog at http://printempsnoir.blogspot.com/ is the source.

Cheers,

Velkaarn kirjoitti...

@kp:

Hmm, thanks for the tip, I suppose I'll need to check that out.

Yeah, you're onto something with the post-punk vibe there, gotta agree. I'm sure you'd find their later works interesting too, give 'em a spin if you come across them!