perjantai 13. heinäkuuta 2012

Muspellsheim - Toner av Natten demo 1996


Muspellsheim - Toner av Natten demo I 1996
1) Under en Norrøn Himmel
2) En Ferd over Vidstrakte Vidder
3) Glemt og Forlatt

Mediafire / Depositfiles

More black metal comes and for change something again from brother Grev's vault, I give you the first demo of Norwegians Muspellsheim. I did have a shitty old dub of this somewhere but as it was one of the cassettes seemingly ninja-trained in the arts of hiding I gave up and asked Grev to dub it for me which was to the benefit of all as his had a vastly superior quality of sound to my tape (or that's how I remember). Thanks yet again! Sadly no covers, so I borrowed the image from Metal Archives.

You might remember I posted "The Eerie Sampler" not that long ago here, and it featured the second demo of Norwegians Gravferd. Well, it is pretty much the same guys who also played here and you might recall I wasn't very impressed with the Graveferd effort which wasn't bad, just pretty average. So how is their other band? I find it actually more interesting and just enough "different" sounding not to drown completely in the mass of other Norse (or like that sounding) bands of the 90's. The music here has a bit more Viking/Norse feel to it without being a direct copy of say Einherjer, Kampfar or old Enslaved. The sound is a little murky and with more deep end than I am used to expect from this sort of music of the era. It does get a bit messy from time to time, but is okay once your ear adjusts. Some synth support is used, but quite tastefully. I can't really pinpoint how I wasn't at all into this when I first heard it back whenever and how it now suddenly sounds so much better. Have a listen for yourself if you enjoy rough sounding, melodic somewhat Norse black(-ish, no Satan) metal, I'm done writing here!

4 kommenttia:

Panacea kirjoitti...

Great stuff mate!Nice demo and especially "Glemt og Forlatt" track is a very good one!

Velkaarn kirjoitti...

@Panacea:

Thanks for the comment & you're welcome! Got the second demo too and will do that one soon.

Anonyymi kirjoitti...

just found your blog it is so good. I dont know anything about any of this stuff but just going through the descriptions and checking stuff out ive heard so much good/weird things i would never have heard otherwise. Thank you.

Velkaarn kirjoitti...

@anonymous:

Thanks for your comment and good to read you've found something interesting to listen to! Don't forget to check out the older entries, that's where some of the best stuff lies.