lauantai 5. toukokuuta 2012

Norseman - Advance Tape 1995

Norseman - Advance Tape for Demo 1995
1) Pathos of Life
2) Rugged Prayer
3) The Healer
4) Aurora Borealis
5) Peter Pan Theme (bonus track)

Reuploaded

Something (not completely) different this time, here's some heavy metal in the vein of Manowar and company from Norseman. The actual monicker they chose to use is fantasy metal and you probably are wondering why am I posting this here as usually traditional metal, thrash and such are left to comrades at Lockjaw and other places. Well, I just am, exceptions happen. I remember seeing this tape in a couple of tape trader lists back in the 90's and idly wondered about it, never actually getting around to have it dubbed for me. Fast forward to last year or year before that and me spotting this in brother Grev's collection, finally deciding to get around to listen to it. Epic backstory. Probably had no cover, if the demo 1995 was actually released it might have one.

Enough of the background babble and the Manowar reference aside, what is it like? It's heavy metal with fantasy themes, moving mostly at epic midtempo paces and sounds actually quite good. I like the voice too, it's a bit more on the raspy side of the scale rather than high pitched banshee wailing. The sound is as expected of demo quality but I kind of like it, it sounds kind of dark and well, heavy. The band's 1996 & 1997 studio sessions were released on a CD, probably remastered and re-somethinged, by Korso records in 2007. This is probably not going to interest the average reader but give it a chance.

6 kommenttia:

kingpossum kirjoitti...

Thanks for the post, Velkaarn. I'm down with the music but the vox are too James Hetfield for me.

Anything outside the expected Asmodian Coven perimeter is always welcome.

Velkaarn kirjoitti...

@kingpossum:

Thanks for the encouraging comment! Hmm, Hetfield didn't even cross my mind but you might be onto something there. I suppose I haven't listened to Metallica for a while.

kingpossum kirjoitti...

I'm glad they did the Lulu album with Lou Reed. I have no love for Metallica but it keeps things interesting when artists step outside their comfort zone.

I do have love for Reed and though Lulu doesn't show up on my list of faves I love that he's always pushing boundaries with total disregard for the conventional.

The world needs a hell of a lot more of it.

Velkaarn kirjoitti...

I've been meaning to check "Lulu" out, partially due the heavy flak it got. Reed is an interesting artist.

Anonyymi kirjoitti...

broken link, plse reup - thnks

Velkaarn kirjoitti...

@anon:

Took you a while to realise I need to approve the comments for them to appear I presume?

Will reupload this after making a new post.