tiistai 22. marraskuuta 2011

Brainstorm #4


Brainstorm 'zine, issue 4 (September 1995)
Interviews:
In the Woods...
Celestial Season
Mayhem (Hellhammer)
Emperor
Opera IX
Misanthropy Records
Meressin
Orphanage
+ reviews, news & gig reports

Depositfiles

Here's a 'zine post for change. In a temporary fit of insanity I scanned this fourth issue of the Lithuanian Brainstorm 'zine. I haven't seen any of his previous issues nor do I know if he made any after this one as I bought this from one of the various small distros once upon a time in the later 90's. I believe my reason for purchase was the Mayhem interview. Anyways, this is a neat 'zine with pretty interesting artists featured, a tidy layout and decent enough English. The author's music taste seems to be more melodic-oriented than yours truly's (spoiler: the album of the issue is Sentenced's "Amok") and I find myself disagreeing with his reviews from time to time but it's not a big deal. Recommended especially if you're fond of the bands mentioned above or a curious explorer of the past.

7 kommenttia:

kingpossum kirjoitti...

Lining up on the curious explorer of the past side of the room, I expect it to be interesting to read something from the day (read: minus the sensationalism of Lords of Chaos).

Thanks for the post. In the digital age, print magazines are important time capsules because they capture all the ephemera from a point in time. Online info only gives you a single bit without a frame of context.

Velkaarn kirjoitti...

@kingpossum:

Thank you for the comment, hopefully you'll enjoy reading the 'zine despite my sloppy scanning. Check out the older 'zine postings too, some might be of interest.

Andrew Werdna kirjoitti...

I haven't gone fully through it, but I checked out the Emperor interview and that was a good read. The zines from the early to mid 90's are always fascinating. Thanks for the upload.

kingpossum kirjoitti...

Agree with Andrew. Since BM long ago became a packaged commodity, its birth period remains far more interesting to me.

It's an intriguing study in the emergence of a musical style rooted in a historical social context rather than a contemporary social context (i.e., protest folk, punk and grunge).

Great to read this stuff regardless of the fact that BM quickly splintered into offshoots that had nothing to do with its origins.

Velkaarn kirjoitti...

Thanks for the comments! Yeah, 90's zines are always nice to read. Shame I'm such a lazy pig I don't scan them more often.

Ashes and Bloodstench kirjoitti...

The link is dead, it would be great if you could re-upload this.

Velkaarn kirjoitti...

@Ashes:

Hmm, looks like Mediafire went medieval on my old account's ass. Can't say that was unexpected, but it's going to be a bother certainly.

Reuploading as I type and will update a link ASAP.