lauantai 17. syyskuuta 2011

Akhkharu - Poisoned Dreams demo 1995


Akhkharu - Poisoned Dreams demo I 1995
1)
Prey To God
2)
Masochistic Soul Sanctuary
3)
Blood
4)
Cosmic Ecstasy

Reuploaded (with cover scan)

Akhkharu was a curious case, you see there are/were apparently no less than three separate entities using this monicker and to make matters worse all were from the States! And active around the same-ish period. Currently the easiest to find is the black metal one, which I'm not really interested in, and then there is the ritual/dark ambient one which I've always been interested in yet never heard, with the Dark Age Prod./Absu/Crimson Moon connections. And then there was this third one, whose (probably only) demo I've uploaded here, rip courtesy of brother Suuret Muinaiset, thanks pal! Information (well, sort info) I found indicates this would be another project by Rood, known to readers of the blog from Creepfog and Goat of the Harvest. No covers nor are any scans of any sort to be found. Would appreciate one. UPDATE: Got the full scans, now reuploaded with them and this was a two man project, Rood and someone called Ewing. Thanks for the contribution!

So what's this like? Well, like I suppose the Akhkharu mentioned second to be, this is of the ritual dark ambient school but unfortunately not very good. The recording consists of chanting, sound effects, clinking and clanking things, synth sounds, electric guitar, spoken passages and so on, sounding quite primitive and pretty random for much of the time. Sound is rehearsal tape-like. I'm quite open minded with this kind of stuff but this one doesn't really click with me. It's not utterly horrible but I don't much enjoy it either. So, I am still looking for the 90's tapes by the DAP/Ishnigarrab Akhkharu, leave a note if you got 'em! Meanwhile feel free to try this out.

10 kommenttia:

Vomit of the Earth kirjoitti...

Thanx a lot! Great site.

Anonyymi kirjoitti...

Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure that this Akhkharu and the DAP one, are in fact one in the same. I'm certain that I read this in Goat of the Harvest actually... I've got a DAP compilation (somewhere) which has a newer track - definitely a vast improvement on the embarrassingly amateurish effort here.

Velkaarn kirjoitti...

@Anonymous: Thanks for the comment and info! Hmm, this could be yet nowhere is this demo mentioned as part of their discography... and the themes here fit with what Rood was doing in his other projects.

In any case, I'm certain the DAP/Ishni Akhkharu tapes are superior to this. Would be interesting to hear that DAP compilation if you can rip it.

Anonyymi kirjoitti...

Yea, I'll have to get off my ass one day and start to rip the 2000 demo tapes that seem to be sitting in storage, let alone the thousands and thousands of CD's and vinyls... I'll go searching, "soon" haha... I don't even think that I have a demo tape post 2000CE actually for that matter...

Anonyymi kirjoitti...

Just had a look and I have that Shadow Dancers demo that you're looking for too - it's the original demo, so when I get around to it, should be good quality.

Velkaarn kirjoitti...

@anonymous:

Excellent, I'd be very pleased to get the Shadow Dancers demo! Practically the only goth rock I listen to, odd in a way.

Anonyymi kirjoitti...

No... this "Akhkharu" is NOT same Akhkharu from Ishnigarrab / DAP. I would know... I started the Akhkharu cult.

Velkaarn kirjoitti...

@Advaita Audio:

Yes, that became clear quite soon, as mentioned in the late part of the first paragraph, the Akhkharu we've here is a short-lived project by Rood of G.o.t.H. 'zine/compilation and his comrade. There's another tape of this project featured later and '13 spring kicked off with a rip of your (easily superior) Akhkharu's 3rd cassette album. Hope you do not mind it being featured on the blog.

As a side note I'd love to hear your old material, have you any plans to re-release it?

Anonyymi kirjoitti...

Yes, the old material will be reissued. Dark Age Productions will be reissuing Nos Noctium Dominarium.

http://dark-age-productions.com/akhkharu/

Advaita Audio will be reissuing the rest.

http://www.advaitaaudio.com/

Velkaarn kirjoitti...

@AA:

Oh good, thank you for the links and heads up. I'll delete the download at NND and add a link to Dark Age's re-release then!